Richard was Ordained a priest in 1993. He directs the Australian Catholic Office for Film & Broadcasting, is an Honorary Fellow of the Australian Catholic University; has been a visiting scholar within the School of Theatre, Film & Television at UCLA and a Visiting Professor at the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome. Fr Richard has served on juries at the Cannes, Venice, Berlin, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Montreal, Brisbane and Melbourne International Film Festivals and he has lectured on faith and culture all over the world.
He has been published in America Magazine, Eureka Street, US Catholics, is a regular columnist with The London Tablet and is a regular guest on ABC Radio.
He is the author of ten books:
- What does it all mean? New Jersey: Paulist Press, 2017;
- What are we doing on earth for Christ’s sake? New Jersey: Paulist Press, 2015;
- What are we hoping for? Reflections for Lent & Easter New Jersey: Paulist Press, 2015;
- Why Bother Praying? New Jersey: Paulist Press, 2013;
- What are we waiting for? Reflections for Advent & Christmas New Jersey: Paulist Press, 2010;
- Where the Hell is God? New Jersey: Paulist Press, 2010;
- Preaching to the Converted, New Jersey: Paulist Press, 2007; Movies That Matter: Reading Film Through the Lens of Faith, Chicago: Loyola University Press, 2006;
- The Mystical Gaze of the Cinema: the Films of Peter Weir, Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 2005;
- Beloved Daughters: 100 Years of Papal Teaching About Women, Melbourne: David Lovell, Toronto: Novalis, 1996.
His forthcoming book: Hatch, Match & Dispatch: a Catholic Guide to Sacraments will be published by Paulist in 2019.