CUP Grant Guidelines

Arts and Culture, Health and Wellbeing, Sports Development and Educational Development

The Charles Sturt University Community University Partnerships (CUP) Grants are community grants (of up to $1,000) that the University awards to support rural and regional programs within the following four (4) categories:
*For Indigenous Engagement and Environmental Sustainability Grant Guidelines, go to the relevant section on the Grants Website.

  1. Arts and Culture
    Available to support artists in residence, art shows, musical education, talks and lectures, and any related activities that encourage engagement in artistic endeavours.
  2. Health and Wellbeing
    Designed to support the health and wellbeing of all people in our community. Grants can be used to fund projects and activities which enhance and promote healthy lifestyles, better mental health and general wellbeing.
  3. Sport Development
    To assist rural sportspeople or teams to attend regional, national or other one-off events, to assist community sporting groups to host regional, national or other one-off events in Charles Sturt University campus regions, and to provide equipment to assist those who have difficulty meeting the cost of participation in sports programs.
  4. Education Development
    To assist schools and not-for-profit early childhood centres in Charles Sturt University’s rural and regional campus footprint to acquire equipment or consumables that assist to facilitate student learning and engagement with their schooling in rural and regional areas.

Applications should (where possible) demonstrate benefits to the community and how the activity will support engagement with learning and further education.

Who can apply?

Registered community and sporting organisations as well as educational institutions (e.g. Schools), non-government organisations and service providers may apply for a grants under these categories.

Individuals should apply through their relevant community or sporting organisation or educational institution. Eligible bodies must be incorporated as a not-for-profit corporation or association. Where a body is not incorporated, funding may be requested, with a letter of support from an auspicing body.

The Grant Review Panel may, at their absolute discretion, approve the award of a grant to a non-conforming body or individual where they are satisfied that the project meets the aims of the program and the grant is appropriate.

Are there any applicants that will not be considered for funding?

In addition to any organisation that does not meet the criteria, the application will not be considered for funding if an organisation has received funding from the University in a previous CUP grant round and:

  • has not provided a Project Acquittal Report by the deadline agreed upon by the University (unless an extension has been granted by the University);
  • has not expended the funds in accordance with the grant purpose (or any variation agreed in writing by the University); and/or
  • has not expended the funds by designated report due date.

The University may approve consideration and funding of an application from an organisation or body that has not met the requirements of a previous grant round where he or she is satisfied that the failure to meet the requirement was unavoidable, or there is otherwise a reasonable explanation. An explanation regarding any failure to meet the requirements of a previous round should be submitted with the application should the applicant wish the application to be considered further.

What can funds be used for?

Funds may be used for a range of purposes related to the goals of the project as outlined below under each category:

  1. Arts and Culture:
    • artists in residence, art shows, musical education,
    • talks and lectures,
    • related activities that encourage engagement in artistic endeavours.
  2. Health and Wellbeing:
    • promoting the physical fitness, nutrition, mental and social wellbeing of the community,
    • enabling those living in rural and regional areas to participate in activities which enhance their quality of life,
    • providing access to resources and information to improve community awareness of health-related issues, and
    • providing access or opportunity for the community to make healthier choices or participate in activities with a prevention focus that deliver real health and wellbeing outcomes.
  3. Sports Development:
    • assisting a rural sportsperson or team to attend a regional, national or other one-off event,
    • assisting a community sporting group to host a regional, national or other one-off event in Charles Sturt’s campus regions,
    • the purchase of sporting equipment to assist young people who have difficulty meeting the cost of participation in sports programs.
  4. Education Development:

    Which may include:
    • purchase of equipment (including sporting equipment),
    • musical instruments, arts and craft materials,
    • scientific or technical instruments,
    • communication and technology equipment (including software where this is integrated with the item),
    • furniture, white-goods etc.

Can the funds be combined with other funding?

Yes. You can apply for a grant to meet part of the cost of your project. Where your application is for part-funding of a larger project that involves other expenditures, you will need to provide a Project Budget overview (including if the other funds will be provided by your organisation) The University may, in its absolute discretion, decide not to award a grant if other funding has not been confirmed, defer an application to a future year (subject to future funding), or make a grant conditional on other funding being confirmed.

Can a grant be provided for training or development costs?

No. Due to significant demand for grants the University has decided to place priority on applications for sponsoring rural sportspeople/teams to attend regional, national or other one-off events, sponsoring regional, national or other one-off sporting events in CSU’s campus regions, and on tangible equipment and consumables.

Is there anything I can’t ask for funding to do?

You may not ask for funding, or use funding, for the following:

  • training or development costs,
  • debt reduction,
  • ongoing operating expenses,
  • indirect expenses that cannot be directly tied to the approved grant project,
  • lobbying.

Can the project continue beyond the period of the grant?

Yes. However, projects that are intended to be ongoing beyond the period of the grant must demonstrate how the project will be sustained after the grant period (that is, how future expenses will be met). If the application does not demonstrate how the project will be sustained, funding may not be approved. Projects cannot rely on or expect to receive future funding support from the CUP program.

Will my application be considered differently if I have received funding from the University before?

The University aims to support projects based on their merits, and previous applicants may apply for funding for further projects in subsequent rounds. However, where two or more projects are considered by the assessment panel, in its absolute discretion, to be equally meritorious the University may give preference to awarding a grant to an applicant that has not previously been funded to encourage the broadest benefit of the program for all our communities and stakeholders.

Can a school that incorporates a primary, secondary and/or early childhood section (e.g. a central school) apply for more than once with respect to each section?

Yes. In many rural towns a central school may incorporate a primary and secondary School and may also operate early childhood centres. The University allows primary, secondary and early childhood learning facilities to apply for funding separately in those towns where these functions are operated through different schools. It is only fair, therefore, that in towns where these functions are collocated or operated as a central school that these schools are able to apply separately for each of early childhood, primary and secondary schooling sections.

However, where an application is made for a section of a school (primary, secondary or early childhood) the application should generally relate to the purposes of that area. It is permissible for projects from each section of a central school to be related (e.g. each application relating to the purchase of equipment that may operate together), however, each application will be considered competitively and independently of each other, so each project for each section must be able to be completed separately.

Where a central school makes an application for a section, it cannot also make an application for the school as a whole in that round. It is suggested that central schools consider making separate applications with respect to each section.

Can I apply for funding for a project located in, or for the benefit of, a non-rural or regional area?

No. The CUP program aims to support rural and regional projects in the University’s rural and regional footprint. Grant funding is not available for projects that are predominantly located in, or for the benefit of, a major city or metropolitan area (even where Charles Sturt has a campus or facility in that city) and is only available in Australia.

How will the University decide applications?

All applications will be assessed on their merits based on the:

  • project need,
  • benefits to the community,
  • number of people to benefit,
  • a clear project plan.

Applicants should refer to the “Assessment Matrix” for more detail on how their applications will be assessed.

Projects should be for activities that could not be reasonably funded by other means. The University may also take into account the capacity or appropriateness of the organisation to obtain funding from other sources for the project.

If I am successful in receiving a grant, can I ask the University to change what I can spend the money on?

The University may grant approval in writing, at its absolute discretion, to vary the purpose of the grant if it is consistent with the original terms of the grant, as long as the original goals of the project are not changed.

How are funds allocated across CSU campus regions?

The University allocates a certain amount of available grant funds each year to CUP program. Grant applications in each campus region and round are then assessed against other applications in that region (not against applications in other campus regions).

Are there any conditions on applications?

Yes. The aim of the program is to provide funding to community organisations to facilitate beneficial outcomes for our rural and regional communities.

The University aims to make the process of applying and administering the program easy, so that we do not end up spending unnecessary resources on administration that take funding away from community initiatives. The University therefore makes it a condition of application that the applicant agrees to the following terms and conditions:

  • only applications through the University’s online application process will be considered,
  • the applicant acknowledges and agrees that the University has the right to award funding in its absolute discretion,
  • the applicant acknowledges that the University reserves the right not to allocate funding, or to reallocate funding between programs, in its absolute discretion,
  • the applicant acknowledges that the University will not be required or expected to provide reasons for its decisions,
  • if a grant is awarded, the funds will be expended on the project outlined in the application unless approval has been granted by the University to a variation,
  • the CUP program will be acknowledged during and after the completion of the project as detailed in the project application,
  • the applicant will submit a project report to the University by the required date as outlined in the notification of application success.

What sort of acknowledgement should I provide?

The grant application must provide a promotion plan showing how the CUP program will be acknowledged during and after the completion of the project. A report on the project must be provided to the University by the required date as outlined in the notification of application success, accompanied by photos and any receipts, including written permission for the University to use the photos in its promotion of the CUP program (remember to get permission from anyone in the photo as well).

The University may publicise or promote its contribution to the project in the media, University’s Annual Report and other mediums, including through use of the project report. Approval to use the University’s trade mark on any material must be obtained in advance by completing the Logo Request form.

Who can assist me with my application?

Community Relations Officers are located on Charles Sturt University campuses and can be contact at with any questions.