Equity, diversity, and inclusion
We value equity, diversity, and inclusion across Charles Sturt University. We are about creating a fair and inclusive environment in which students and staff of all backgrounds can flourish.
Support for students
Charles Sturt seeks to improve access, participation, and success for students from disadvantaged or diverse backgrounds through the provision of support services and programs. That can include students who are:
- from rural and isolated areas
- from lower socioeconomic backgrounds
- from non-English speaking backgrounds
- from humanitarian or refugee backgrounds
- diverse sex, sexuality and gender identity
- First Nations
- have a disability
- women studying in traditionally male-dominated areas
We also have programs to help students access and stay at university, including
- equity scholarships and grants
- access schemes
- student support programs.
Please email our Student Advocates if you have any questions or concerns.
Support for staff
Charles Sturt is one of the first Australian universities to receive an Athena SWAN Bronze Institutional Award. We are also an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality from the Commonwealth Workplace Gender Equality Agency.
Charles Sturt is also a participating institution of the Australian Workplace Equality Index, the national benchmark for LGBTIQA+ Inclusion. We were awarded Bronze Employer in 2021.
Facilitating equity and diversity
At Charles Sturt University we strive to create a working environment that is fair, inclusive, and free from all forms of prejudice and discrimination. We embrace diversity and equality by promoting social inclusion and equal opportunity for all. This is through:
- merit-based recruitment, selection, and promotion processes
- flexible work practices various leave options that support work/life balance and family responsibilities
- programs that increase access and participation, such as our First Nations Employment Strategy
- workplace adjustments that enable people with disability to work effectively at Charles Sturt University
- targeted training and development opportunities to support career progression
- policies and procedures to prevent unlawful discrimination, harassment, and bullying
- responsive management of concerns and complaints