Equity and diversity
We value equity diversity across CSU. We are about creating a fair and inclusive environment in which students and staff of all backgrounds can flourish.
Support for students
Our Student Equity Office provides advice and support to ensure students from all backgrounds get the same opportunities as everyone else. That can include students who are:
- from rural and isolated areas
- from lower socioeconomic backgrounds
- from non-English speaking backgrounds
- from humanitarian or refugee backgrounds
- have a disability
- women studying in traditionally male-dominated areas
We also have programs to help students access and stay at university, including
- equity scholarships and grants
- access schemes
- student support programs.
The support we provide is via Student Liaison Officers who are on campus. We can also refer students to various services and programs at CSU, or community groups in their area.
Support for staff
Charles Sturt is one of the first Australian universities to receive an Athena SWAN Bronze Institutional Award. In February 2019, Charles Sturt was awarded an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality from the Commonwealth Workplace Gender Equality Agency.
Charles Sturt is also a participating institution of the Australian Workplace Equality Index.
Facilitating equity and diversity
We facilitate equity and diversity through our employment practices by having:
- merit-based recruitment, selection and promotion processes
- flexible work practices various leave options that support work/life balance and family responsibilities
- programs that increase access and participation, such as our Australian Indigenous Employment Strategy
- workplace adjustments that enable people with disability to work effectively at CSU
- targeted training and development opportunities to support career progression
- policies and procedures to prevent unlawful discrimination, harassment and bullying
- responsive management of concerns and complaints