The history of the Wagga Wagga Campus dates back to 1892 with the establishment of the Wagga Experiment Farm offering vocational agricultural education on the current site of Charles Sturt University in Wagga Wagga. However, the first students were not enrolled at the Experiment Farm until 1 October 1896.
In 1948, the Minister for Agriculture proposed the establishment of an Agricultural College at Wagga Wagga offering a three-year Diploma, and on 9 September 1949 the Wagga Wagga Experiment Farm was converted into the Wagga Wagga Agricultural College. Although the first students attended lectures on 3 March 1949, the official opening and naming did not take place until 9 September 1949.
Two years earlier, in 1947, the Wagga Wagga Teachers College had been established on a different site in the township of Wagga Wagga (later to become known as 'South Campus') to provide teacher education.
The then School of Agriculture's building 'Doman Hall' was officially opened on 24 April 1964 in response to a dire need for more student accommodation. In February 2018, an event was held to celebrate the history of the building, prior to it being demolished after reaching its end of life. To ensure that Doman Hall is forever remembered a book entitled 'Doman' by Sherry Morris has been published.
During 1971, the Riverina College of Advanced Education was formally established and on 1 January 1972 the Wagga Wagga Teachers College was dissolved and the Riverina College of Advanced Education was established on the site of the Teachers College. Study centres were also opened in Albury and Griffith.
On 1 January 1976, the Wagga Wagga Agricultural College was merged with the Riverina College of Advanced Education and became the School of Agriculture within the College.
During the 1970s, the Council of the RCAE decided to purchase a green field's site adjacent to the existing campus of the Wagga Wagga Agricultural College known locally as 'Boorooma' Campus. During the late 1970s and into the 1980s, a great deal of building development was undertaken at this new site in readiness for the transfer of staff, students and amenities to the new Boorooma and Agricultural campuses north of the Murrumbidgee River, from the old Teachers College Campus in the city proper.
Effective from 1 March 1985, the name of the College was changed to the Riverina-Murray Institute of Higher Education to better reflect the geographical areas served by the institution, with the two main campuses located at Albury-Wodonga and Wagga Wagga.
In 1989, the Charles Sturt University Act brought together the Riverina Murray Institute of Higher Education and the Mitchell College of Advanced Education to form Charles Sturt University. Wagga Wagga Campus became one of the three foundation campuses of CSU, along with Albury-Wodonga and Bathurst.
In late 2017 the former Wagga Wagga Teachers College (known as 'South Campus') was sold by the University to Signature Care Aged Care Facilities. A book entitled 'South Campus - A History' by Nancy Blacklow was published to celebrate the history of the South Campus site.